Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lie To Me

Many of us live lives of complicated fabrication. We aren't really equipped to deal with the realities we face, so we ignore reality. We're not qualified and we can't make it but we're going to fake it 'til we make it, or anyway we're going to just fake it. We're going down in flames but we're going to put our best foot forward and put a good face on and yada yada. Blech.

Speaking of reality, I never liked Woody Allen or the "realistic" but insecure and stilted characters he always conjured up. I liked seeing Mariel Hemingway in Allen's movie Manhattan back in the late 70s, though. Before I met Sue I used to wonder if Mariel would ever date a guy like me. Get real.

Can you believe Woody Allen has written, directed and/or acted in 40 movies? Who watches that stuff, anyway? Or anyway, who pays to watch it? It's unnerving and uncomfortable. Who longs to be stilted and insecure? Give us some real heros - like Iron Man. Besides, Woody's a little bit creepy. And he has a huge schnoz.

Back to unreality. Unlike Mariel Hemingway in 1979, sometimes life is just too unpretty to look at squarely. We'd just as soon not know. Honey, do I look as svelte at 205 pounds as I did at 185? Have I lost a step? Am I going to live forever? Shhhh. TMI. Like Cheryl Crow says in her song Strong Enough: "Lie to me, I promise I'll believe."

1 comment:

  1. You always make me doing some extra thinking...ouch. My brain hurts.

    ReplyDelete